Saturday, May 23, 2009

Basketball














This is really random, but I just got a new basketball today! Yay! Its a Nike 2000 and if there was ever a ball that was sexy, this would be it. Im still terrible at basketball though, anyone here play?

I play a lot in the summer in the backyard and sometimes at the school court near my house. Nothing beats a nice ball, between me/my brother someone always ends up leaving it in the yard and then the sun ruins it though, heh. Actually last year's is sitting out in the snow right now. :redface:

play a lot, I was on the team in high school and am playing in intramurals now. Haven't played in two years so now I'm pretty terrible haha. I bought one of those nike cage grip balls because they were on sale and I quite like it.

I used to play on a couple of community teams. Haven't touched a ball in about 10 years. I had a great reverse layup. I would come up under the backboard cross under the rim and put the ball up backwards behind me inches from the hoop. I could do it either side, either left or right hand, without looking. If I got to the baseline they figured I was going to do it, but it was hard to stop because if they went to where I was going to be, I would just lay it up forwards. I was okay shooting from outside the foul line, but not great.

I've never been great overall, but when I was 12 i had a great 3 point shot. When I say great, i ment compared to my other friends. I got about half of them in. Theres a friend of mine that can go 30 or so before he gets unlucky and misses one. Most of those times its a swish as well.

haven't even thought about basketball in years. I ought to see if mine will still hold air and try some shots sometime. I do enjoy it, just never really too good. I was at a point where I would be picked early in gym class when playing basketball. I was happy with that.:biggrin:

Used to play during high school, stopped after I went to college, and gained a few pounds, can't touch the ring anymore.. I guess I lost my game..

used to play on a couple of community teams. Haven't touched a ball in about 10 years. I had a great reverse layup. I would come up under the backboard cross under the rim and put the ball up backwards















I have always been an admirer of John Wooden, acclaimed teacher and coach of the UCLA Bruins. I grew up as the daughter of a basketball coach from Indiana. An autographed copy of his Pyramid of Success hung on Dad’s office wall. He shared Wooden-isms in his work as a special education teacher and director. He taught his players the proper ways to put on their socks and lace of up their shoes.

Basketball A worn out copy of Practical Modern Basketball still sits in Dad’s office, years after his retirement. Admiration for Coach Wooden has not come from his proficiency as a coach. My respect is for Coach Wooden, the man. I have just finished a book titled You Haven’t Taught Until They Have Learned by Swen Nater and Ronald Gallimore. This book takes a careful look at the teaching principles and practices of Coach Wooden, creating a direct connection with their use in the modern classroom. I had the intention of creating a series of blog posts to reflect on the whole book, but I am re-thinking that idea now. Instead, I am hung up on one thought.

0 comments: